Mystic Seaport Waterfront
 


John Gardner Chapter: October 2, 2015 Meeting Minutes

JGTSCA Vice-President Bill Rutherford called the Meeting to order at 6:40pm.

Introduction of Members

Members Bill Rutherford, Peter Vermilya, John Symons, Bill Armitage, Dan Nelson, Jim Clark, Rob Pittaway, and Carl Kaufman were present.

1. Minutes for the September 10, 2015 meeting

The Minutes for the 09/10/2015 Meeting, as published on the JGTSCA Website, were unanimously adopted.
http://www.tsca.net/johngardner/minutes_sep15.htm

2. Treasurer’s Report

Treasurer John Symons reported that the JGTSCA Chelsea Groton bank balance was $4357.62 as of 9/2/2015. Income for the month was $80.00 from 1 single $20.00 membership and the sale of excess NINA lumber for $60.00. There were no expenses. The Treasurer’s Report was unanimously accepted.

3. Old Business

a. Membership report.

Sandy D’Esopo has renewed his membership ($20.00)

b. NINA, Club building project.

At September’s Business Meeting members were requested to suggest names for the NINA build. At this point only one name has been suggested. All agreed that this item should remain on the agenda.

Bill Rutherford requested that John Symons put together a list of NINA expenses for the next meeting.
Bill also suggested that one criteria for choosing a future club project should be the project’s marketability.
Carl Kaufman will look at the NINA molds after the meeting.

c. Fleet Report and Club Fleet Maintenance.

Phil Behney is in the process of installing two seat risers in Club Dory #2 (presently located in the Club Shop). Dory #2 is the last of the three Club Dories to receive maintenance for this season.
Two dories should be ready for use on October 24th (see “7. 2015 Activities” below).

d. Shop Queue
The queue is: John Symons, to be followed by Phil Behney, Dan Nelson, and Bill Rutherford.

e. Replacement Dory

Discussion of the thickness of the plywood for the replacement dory was postponed for the next business meeting.

f. Table Saw Maintenance

Bill Armitage presented two options for a blade guard for the club’s table saw. Members are urged to familiarize themselves with both options. Discussion will continue at future meetings.

1. Delta 34-976 Deluxe Uniguard Table Saw Blade Guard:

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-34-976-Deluxe-Uniguard-Table/dp/B0000223C8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1443896555&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=1.%09Delta+34-976+Deluxe+Uniguard+Table+Saw+Blade+Guard

2. A generic PSI Woodworking TSGuard Table Saw Dust Collection Guard:

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-TSGUARD-Table-Collection/dp/B0006FKJ0U/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1443896830&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=1.%09PSI+Woodworking+TSGuard+Table+Saw+Dust+Collection+Guard
(You may need to paste these URLs in your browser or go directly to Amazon.com)
Bill has prices of $306.01 for #1 and $199.95 for #2. Bill mentioned that a new Grizzly brand cabinet saw goes for around $750.00.

4. New Business

a. Middle Atlantic Small Craft Festival
Bill Rutherford reported that the festival was cancelled because of Hurricane Joaquin.
b. JGTSCA Newsletter:
There will be a November Newsletter. Bill Rutherford requested that members send him any news that was fit to print, even if it’s twenty five words or less. Images, if available, are most welcome.

5. AOB

Captain Dan Nelson is looking for suggestions for a boat to build in the Clubhouse when it is his turn to build a personal project. It should be about 14 – 16 feet in length, used under oars and sail, and be light enough to be easily trailerable. He will be looking at the Atkins plans site.

6. Correspondence

No report this month.

7. 2015 Activities:

October
October 24th (Saturday): A row on the Lieutenant River in Old Lyme, with lunch afterwards at the Morning Glory Café. Launch at the Smith Neck launch ramp. Time: 10am.

Ellie Czarnowski rows on Powers Lake in East Lyme almost every Saturday and Sunday morning and would welcome fellow rowers. A foliage row is a possibility.

November:
Suggestions welcome.

December
December 6th – Annual JGTSCA dinner at the Customs House, Bank Street, New London. Susan Tamulavich will speak.

8. Motion to Adjourn

A motion to adjourn was unanimously voted at 7:25pm

Respectfully submitted,
Peter Vermilya, JGTSCA Secretary

>> Return

 
 
  © Copyright 2015 John Gardner Chapter TSCA. All Rights Reserved. Design by Interspire