John Gardner Chapter: March 4, 2018 Meeting Minutes
UConn Avery Point Campus Boathouse
President Dane Rochelle called the meeting to order @ 1335.
Dan Nelson, Dane Rochelle, Ellie Czarnowski,
Bill Rutherford, Karen Rutherford, Carl Kaufmann, Brian Cooper,
Bill Armitage, Philip Behney, Dave Tang, and John Hacunda.
Minutes from February Meeting
(Secretary not present) Action on February minutes tabled
until further notice.
The treasurer’s report was accepted as presented. Balance
as of 2/15/18 = $5357.19.
• Reminder of the important of shop
• Club oar making report by Dan Nelson. Progress being
made. All is well.
• Uconn student oar project update by Dan Nelson. Good
progress. He will continue to report progress to Professor
• Solicitation of “non-hands on boats” ideas
- art, music, writing, history, quarterly meeting presentations,
expansion of out-reach
• Plans and modified NINA molds have been acquired for
the Good Little Skiff project.
• Bill Rutherford provided an overview
of 2018 WBS/SCW. See Seaport web site for up to date details.
Wristbands are required this year. Bill is looking for presenters
for the SCW – time slots on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Carl Kaufmann will help with rowing clinic.
• Discussion on the spring visit(s) to Newport area
maritime attractions – IYRS, Herreshoff Museum etc.
- TBD - nothing definite yet.
• Pine Island Clean-up/Earth Day/Uconn BBQ – no
• Phil Behney will host a Full Moon Row on Friday March
30th. Meet at the Avery Point Boathouse at 7:30 pm and the
group will go from there, out and around the Bluff Point area;
or head over to Mystic Shipyard East and row around there.
Watch club email for updates as the event draws near.
• “Barn Raising” at the Thames River Chapter
(Russ Smith) – no new info – Stay tuned
• The need for more membership
renewal postcards was discussed and will most likely be printed
by the Rutherford Group.
• The latest issue of the newsletter
has been published and is available by asking, via email or
• Viking Days Weekend preceding the WBS/SCW at Mystic
Seaport. See Seaport web site for details.
• Invitation to visit Carl Kaufmann’s shop in
Noank following this meeting. Several small craft are under
construction and several others are on display (stored) therein.
Friday, April 6th, 2017. Potluck @ 1730 with meeting to follow.
Building 36 (Boat Shop) UCONN – Avery Point.
Motion to Adjourn
Motion to adjourn; motion seconded; all in favor; motion carried;
meeting adjourned @ 1420.