John Gardner Chapter: March 5, 2017 Meeting Minutes
Introduction of Members, Welcome Guest
and new members
President Dan Nelson opened the meeting at 1:30.
The custom of having individuals present introduce themselves
was followed. Present were:
Andy Strode, David Tang, john Hacunda, Dane Rochelle, Rob
Pittaway, Bryn Hammond, Ellie Czarnowski, Bill Armitage, Peter
Vermilya, John Simons, Bill & Karen Rutherford, Leigh
& Ron Rinehart, Kate Nelson, Larry Magee, George &
Kate Spragg and Steve Barton.
Minutes for February Meeting
Alan Barton substituted for Steven Barton as secretary. Members
unanimously voted to accept the minutes for 02/03/2017 as
posted on the JGTSCA Web. See online http://www.tsca.net/johngardner/about.htm.
Treasurer Ellie Czarnowski – presented her report. Income
for the period ending 02/02/2017
Income $50.00 for members’ dues for Sharon Brown, Bill
Meirer and Liesbeth Slosberg. The $25.00 check was cashed
for the donated trailor purchased by Steve Barton.
Expenses: Check # 426 issued to Dan Nelson for the purchase
of shop supplies for the amount of 60.41 and the purchase
of stamps for the amount of 9.80. The closing balance as of
02/15/2016 is 6,122.11 Ellie’s Report was unanimously
accepted as presented.
1. PJ is 99.97% done Karen Rutherford is working on the name
plate for the Professor Jones with a few more coats on the
rails and the install of the name plate the Processor Jones
will be ready for its christening. I see a bar BQ on the Horizon.
2. Shop report: Dan Nelson and Bill Rutherford have completed
their oars and Phil Behney moved his White hull in to the
shop and is working hard on it.
3. Our trip to Newport to visit IYRS (International Yacht
Restoration School) went very well and we are hoping this
will be an ongoing trend of impromptu gatherings.
4. John Hacunda is setting up a Google group for members
of the club to advertise spontaneous rows, day trips and sailing
John Hacunda and Dan Nelson will be managers of the account
and all members will have access to the account. All you need
is a G-mail account.
1. President Dan Nelson is meeting with Professor Nat Trumbull
to establish a dialog and find ways that JGTSCA can support
the school and establish a stronger rapport with the faculty
2. Pine Island cleanup is Thursday April 13, 11:00-12:00 at
the Boat house for details on how to support please see the
organizer Ellie Czarnowski.
3. Up and coming Warren River get together. Bring the 38 foot
GIG boat down for week of the wooden boat show for the Atlantic
challenge. Organizer Peter Vermilya.
4. Small boat workshop with the crew of the Brilliant. Dane
Rochelle is the lead on this more info to come.
5. Coming in May Viking ship sendoff and rowing regatta.
6. Shannon Machesney rowing workshop
7. Interest in Small Boat Navigation theme for next Sunday
meeting – June 4th 2017
8. During February’s meeting Bill Armitage put forth
the motion to change the buy laws and extend the office of
president to more than one year.
Any Other Business
1. While we work out the details of what project the club
will support, sanding and re-varnish oars go on.
2. Rob Pittaway log time member of JGTSCA and member of the
Jib Room Club that meets at the custom House in New London.
The JIB Club sponsors a monthly lecture for future lecture
series contact Rob Pittaway.
3. A Big thanks to John Hacunda for donating a small fridge
to replace the old fridge that could not hold up to the rigors
Motion to adjourn: 2:30pm
Next Meeting: Friday, April 7th. 5:30pm Potluck, meeting
at 6:30pm. UCONN Avery Point
Steve Barton, JGTSCA Secretary