John Gardner Chapter: January 2011 Meeting Minutes
President John Symons called the meeting at the Avery Point
Boathouse to order at 1:30pm.
Introduction of members and guests:
John Symons (pres.), Bill Armitage (treas.), Phil Behney
(sec.), Scott Symons, Genevieve Favre, Andy Strode, George
Spragg, Bob Reed, Rob Pittaway, Dave McCullough and Anna McCullough.
Minutes from December were approved as distributed.
Treasurer’s report was read by Bill Armitage (balance
of 2,417.15) and approved by the membership. Bill noted that
our largest expense for 2010 was our annual picnic for the
Pine Island cleanup with the Sea Scouts.
2011 Dues are due.
Scott Symons offered to display the McGregor Canoe near his
work place in Old Saybrook if we do not succeed in selling
the boat through our ad in MAIB.
Bill Armitage is still looking into a possible Restaurant
fund raiser meeting at Senor Flaco’s and/or Dog Watch
Russell Smith’s request for a donation to New London
Community boating was tabled.
Donation was made to the Custom House of 50.00 at our December
meeting for use of their facilities.
• Shop Vacuum system update was tabled.
• The Hacunda Skiff will be christened “Uncle
Flatty” in memory of Paul Robertson. George Spragg will
look into the cost of a stencil for the name. A ceremony is
being planned by Paul Robertson’s band mates on Seldon
Island in the spring and may include our bringing club boats
and the Skiff.
• John and Scott Symons continue to make good progress
on their runabout. John may come weekdays to do more work
on the boat.
• George Spragg’s Canoe will be finished and launched
before next meeting.
• Sandy and Bruce will make up a plan for the Chaisson
• Chauncy Rucker is waiting to get his “Pelican
“sailboat in the shop for minor repairs and maintenance.
Bill Armitage will start the Avery Point Dory construction
class with Uconn students in February if the school is able
to attract registrants.
Discussion ensued regarding the trailer resting on the side
of the Avery Point Boathouse and whether or not it was feasible
for the club members to repair or modify it to accommodate
Russell Smith’s Gig. The trailer will be evaluated at
the next Friday meeting to determine if it can be repaired
or modified so as to be made usable. Russell is presently
borrowing the club’s Dory trailer for the Gig
• John Symons and Chauncy Rucker have been discussing
the possibility of our chapter helping with the TSCA annual
meeting. John suggested we ask for volunteers from our chapter
to man a table at the next Wooden Boat Show.
• George Spragg talked to Dana Hewson from the Seaport
about a club visit to the small craft collection, possibly
for our March meeting.
• Friday meetings, 6:30pm at the Boathouse
• February 6 at 1:30 pm, Monthly meeting Boathouse,
Avery Point bldg 36
• February 11-13, Cape Cod Boat Builder’s Show.
• March 12, Snow row, Hull, MA
Motion was made and seconded to adjourn at 2:15 followed
by Pot luck.