John Gardner Chapter: December 3, 2017 Meeting Minutes
Meeting called to order at 1315 by President
Introduction of Members, Welcome Guests
and New Members
Dan Nelson, Dane Rochelle, Ellie Czarnowski, Bill Rutherford,
Judy Strode, Andy Strode, Rene’ Boelig, Kathleen Boelig,
Carl Kaufmann, Trudy Alduk, Larry Magee, Ishmael, Collin Powers,
Matthew Phillips, Brian Cooper, Karen Rutherford, Bill Armitage,
John Hacunda, Mary Pine, Philip Behney, George Spragg, Kate
Wells, and Dave Tang.
Minutes from June Meeting – Motion
to accept minutes as presented; motion seconded; all in favor;
motion carried (Secretary not present)
Ellie Czarnowski - motion to accept minutes as presented;
motion seconded; all in favor; motion carried.
1. Bill Armitage reviews the final wording of previously approved
and passed changes to bylaws. All in agreement that the wording
is accurate and acceptable.
2. Shop Queue – Club dory maintenance, Jim Friedlander,
Phil Behney (Whitehall). There was a reminder to include the
oar making workshop into the queue. The oar making will probably
begin shortly after the Martin Luther King holiday, with or
without UCONN intern(s).
1. Call for nominations for board members – Dane Rochelle
was nominated for President, Philip Behney was nominated for
Vice-President, Ellie Czarnowski was nominated for Treasurer,
and Dan Nelson was nominated for Member-at-Large. All nominations
were accepted by the nominees and all were elected, by unanimous
vote, for terms beginning 1 January 2018.
2. At the January monthly meeting, board members will schedule
special board meeting to draft a 2018 calendar of club meetings
and events, etc..
3. Reminder that 2018 dues are payable and join the national
4. Solstice Row, Phil Behney as leader, will be held on 12/21/17.
Additional details will be transmitted to the membership by
5. Carl Kaufmann suggests an intra-club system by which members
can share supplies, materials, tips and ideas similar to what
they use on Block Island. Good idea. No action taken.
6. Thanks to George Spragg for donation of Chop saw.
7. Bill Rutherford (plus all in attendance) congratulates
Carl Kaufmann for his wherry article in the recent issue of
Small Boats Monthly.
8. Bill Rutherford presented the retiring President, Dan Nelson,
with a gift and thanks for his past year of service.
Next Meeting: Friday, January 5th, 2018
at the Avery point boat shop, with the Potluck at 1730 and
the meeting to follow.
Motion to adjourn; motion seconded; all in favor; motion
carried; meeting adjourned at 1400.
1400 to 1500 – Presentation by Matthew Phillips