John Gardner Chapter: April 2010 Meeting Minutes
President John Hacunda called the meeting to order at 1:30
Introduction of members and guests:
John Hacunda (pres.), Bill Armitage (treas.), Phil Behney
(sec.), Paul Robertson, Andy Strode, George Spragg, Genevieve
Favre, Russell Smith, Wil Iturrino.
Minutes from April 7, 2010 were approved as distributed.
Treasurer’s report was read by Bill Armitage (balance
of 2,133.14) and approved by the membership.
The Seldon Island trip was a success and a big hit with all
who attended. Special thanks to member Paul Robertson for
a splendid and informative tour of the Island.
Shop ventilation project is in the works headed up by volunteer
Shop cleanup needs to be completed before the May 2nd Pine
Island cleanup and picnic.
The Mystic shipyard East work party is on for April 24th
9am to 3pm with a row to the Seaport afterward.
Shop activities include:
• Hacunda Skiff is moving along and may go to two shifts
to speed up completion.
• George is making good progress on his canoe.
• The last single Dory is in the shop for maintenance.
Delaying it’s conversion to a double was discussed to
help alleviate shop crowding.
Fund Raising Activities:
Sale of “Rob Roy” Canoe was discussed. Placing
an ad with “Craig’s List” and/or “Wooden
Boat” magazine was brought up as possibilities.
• A table at the Maritime College and Career Fair, April
21, 5-7 PM will be manned by John Hacunda and Sandy D’Esepo.
• A meeting has been scheduled with UConn staff for
Bill Armitage’s boatbuilding course on May 11, 9-11am
at the boathouse
• Sea Scouts and Russell’s Ledyard parks Kids
will once again assist with our annual Pine Island Cleanup
– May 2, 10 AM
• John Hacunda had new brochures printed and are available
for distribution: ask John for copies.
• April 18, 2010: Field trip to see New York 30 AMORITA
at MP&G Shipyard, Mystic, courtesy Bruce Cresser.
• April 21, 2010, 5-7 PM: Maritime College and Career
Fair at Branford House, UConn, Avery Point Campus, Groton,
• May 2, 2010 10PM: Pine Island Clean Up.
• May 15, 2010, 9AM: Essex River Race, Essex, MA.
• June 5, 2010, 9-12 PM: Small Craft workshop at Mystic
Motion was made and seconded to adjourn at 2:08