John Gardner Chapter: April 2008 Meeting Minutes
The John Gardner Chapter of the Traditional Small Craft Association.
Minutes for the April 6, 2008 membership meeting of the John
Gardner Chapter of the TSCA.
The meeting was called to order by President Behney in Avery
Point Boathouse at 1:00.P.M. Eight members were in attendance.
A motion was made, seconded and passed to accept the Secretary’s
Report from the March 2008 meeting with the following correction.
The Treasurers report at the prior meeting should have been
stated as $3443.30 not $1,508 as distributed.
The Treasurer’s report indicated that there was modest
activity in the account during the past month. There were
$6.00 in expenses associated with the recent audit and $80.00
in dues collected for a current balance of $3,517.30.
John Hacunda addressed Pine Island Cleanup day which will
include representatives from the Sea Scouts. ShopRite grocers
will be providing trash bags and gloves. It is anticipated
that approximately 20 Sea Scouts will participate. President
Behney will be sending an update as the date approaches.
Boathouse upkeep and Activities:
- Chuck’s Swampscott Dory is outside
the shop. It requires several more coats of paint prior
- John Maxson’s fearing dory is complete
and was moved out of the shop this morning. It will be on
exhibit this afternoon at the Sea Scouts’ Open House.
- Andy Strode’s Pack boat was in for
a spring spruce up and is back in this truck.
- Bill Armitage scarfed plywood this afternoon
for use in making templates for his new Solo Guide boat.
- One of our AP dories suffered extensive
damage during high winds a few weeks ago. An attempt will
be made to restore it to reasonable condition in the next
- Earth Day Activity May 4, 2008 Pine Island
- Connecticut River Race (contact Phil) May
10, 2008 Essex, CT
- Essex River Race (contact Bill Armitage)
May 15, 2008 Essex. MA
- John Gardner Small Craft Workshop June
7, 2008 Mystic Seaport
- JGTSCA Nautical Tag Sale June 14, 2008
- Blackburn Challenge July 12, 2008 Gloucester,
- Blessing of the Fleet (contact Rob Pittaway)
July Stonington, CT
- Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival October
2008 St. Michaels, MD
Phil is looking for individuals to row the Gig on May10 in
Essex CT. All traditional boats are welcome to participate
in this local event.
Next meeting is scheduled for May 4 after the Pine Island
Motion to Adjourn at 1:30
Note: Several members attended the Sea Scouts Open House
after the close of the meeting. Photos are available at www.tsca.net/johngardner/seascouts.htm